The Texas Sex Offender Registration Program is a sex offender registration and public notification law designed to protect the public from sex offenders. The law requires adult and juvenile sex offenders to register with the Lago Vista Police Department if they reside within the city limits.
The City of Lago Vista, Ordinance No 13-05-16-01, Article 42.12(13)(B) of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure provides a 1,000-foot safety zone for children as a condition of probation for those convicted of certain sexual offenses, and the City has a compelling interest in protecting the safety of children by reducing opportunities for sexual predators to come in contact with children.
The sex offender must report in person to the Lago Vista Police Department to register or verify information. Registration is done by appointment only by contacting Officer Sylvia Arnold at 512-267-7141 or by email. Walk-ins are not accepted.
Sex offenders are required to provide the following information and verification:
1. Proof of Identity - Texas Drivers License or Texas Identification Card
- Texas Drivers License or Texas Identification Card must have the sex offender's current address.
- When applying for a new driver's license or ID card, the sex offender must notify the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) that they are a registered sex offender.
2. Proof of Residence, i.e., a lease, rent receipt, proof of home ownership, utility bill, etc.
3. Any additional information Officer Arnold requests.
Public Information on Sex Offender Registry
The Texas Department of Public Safety has created a state-wide registry database. You may search for your area at the Texas Public Sex Offender Registry. You may conduct a nationwide search for a sex offender through the National Offender Search. If you have any questions or information about a sex offender or wish to report a violation, such as an offender not reporting an address change, please get in touch with the Lago Vista Police Department.
The Lago Vista Police Department conducts periodic sex offender compliance checks on all sex offenders to confirm the registrant's information and compliance with the terms. A sex offender who fails to comply with registration requirements is subject to felony prosecution.
For more information, don't hesitate to contact Officer Arnold at (512)267-7141.