Sound Amplification Permit
Effective January 3, 2008, per City of Lago Vista Ordinance No. 08-01-03-01, anyone in the City of Lago Vista requires a permit for all commercial, residential, and non-residential establishments that use sound equipment. The Chief of Police reviews these permits per the City Manager.
A permit is good for the date and time of the event and must be reapplied. The permit allows for amplified music (within the prescribed permissible decibel levels) Is valid for a specifically requested and approved period between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. in residential areas or between 7:00 a.m. and 12:00 midnight in nonresidential areas. The permit shall be granted for the amplification of music, which is not required to regulate protected speech or to conflict with any law of any superior governmental authority.
Obtain an Application for a Sound Amplification Permit
Sound Amplification permit fees are approved as part of our Master Fee schedule in the City’s Budget, available here.
To apply for a permit, you must bring the following items to the Lago Vista Police Department’s Office.
- Apply for an alarm permit by filling out our online form (mobile-friendly), downloading our fillable PDF, or email it to us.
- $10.00 application fee due upon issuance of the permit
Once an application is received, the Chief of Police will review it and inspect the venue, if necessary, to approve or deny it. Applicants will be notified if their permit has been approved or denied. If an application is submitted after 5 p.m. on Thursday, the review will be done the following Monday, and notification will be made on the next business day.
- It shall be unlawful for any person to make, assist in making, permit, continue, cause to be made or continued, or permit the continuance of any sound using any sound amplifier that is part of or connected to any speaker system, radio, stereo receiver, compact disc player, cassette tape player, microphone, or any other sound source, when operated: (1) in such a manner as to disturb the peace, quiet, and comfort of the neighboring inhabitants; or (2) at any time with louder volume than is necessary for convenient hearing for persons who are in the vehicle or within the property or premises in which such sound amplifier is operated and who are voluntary listeners thereto. The operation of any such sound amplifier in such a manner as to be plainly audible at a distance of 50 feet or more from a vehicle shall be presumed to be violation of this Section. The operation of any such sound amplifier in such a manner that bass sounds are plainly audible at a distance of 50 feet or more from the property line of a property or premises in which the amplification is located shall be presumed to be violation of this Section.
- Amplified sound emanating from any horn, instrument, player, radio, phonograph, or other amplification device or attachment on the public street or other public or private place during nighttime hours is prohibited.
- It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under this Section that the sound source is a motor vehicle and that:
- The motor vehicle is a mobile sound stage or studio that is being used on a stationary basis at a location not situated upon any street for the purpose of providing sound, during daytime hours, for an event or function; and
- The use is in compliance with all other provisions of this article.
- No person shall use or cause to be used any loudspeaker, loudspeaker system, sound amplifier, or any other machine or device that produces, reproduces, or amplifies sound outside of buildings or other enclosed structures in a manner that exceeds the levels specified in Section 8.306, without first obtaining a permit to do so.
- No permit is required for any use not exceeding the said permissible levels.
- The permit shall be granted only for the amplification of music or human speech, or both.
- The permit:
- May be obtained by making an application to the director of the city department so designated by the city manager.
- Requires payment of a $10.00 fee for the administrative costs of issuing the permit or a sworn statement of inability to pay the fee.
- Is valid for a specifically requested and approved period between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. in residential areas or between 7:00 a.m. and 12:00 midnight in nonresidential areas.
- Shall not be issued to the same or any other person for the same location more than twice during any 30-day period. In the case of a sound truck, the location shall relate to the area traversed by the truck in one day. For special events that will take place over a two or three-day time period in a city or POA park, the city manager may approve a special permit to accommodate the entire event period in one permit.
- Shall specify the maximum sound level permitted.
- The permit application required to be filed pursuant to this Section shall contain the following information:
- The date of the application and the date and hours for which the permit is requested.
- The name and address of the applicant.
- The name and address of the person who will have charge of the sound amplifying equipment.
- The address and a description of the location where the sound equipment will be used.
- A description of the type of sound-amplifying equipment to be used.
- The permit hereby required is not required for the purpose of regulating speech which is protected speech or to conflict with any law of any superior governmental authority.
- Any regulation hereof that is in conflict with any such right or authority is hereby declared to be inoperative and severable from the other regulations herein.