Protecting Pets and Their People
Lago Vista Animal Control is dedicated to assisting citizens safely enjoy their domestic pets as well as the numerous wild animals that inhabit our area.
- Dogs are required to be in a fenced yard and on a leash if walking or in a park. To aid in the return of wayward pets, permits, and tags are required for all dogs and cats over four months old.
- While there is no set limit to the number of dogs or cats a person may have, they may not create a nuisance to others.
- Livestock and exotic pets are not allowed in the City of Lago Vista.
Pursuant to Chapter 821 of the Texas Health and Safety Code, it is a criminal offense to restrain a dog unlawfully.
a) An owner may not leave a dog outside and unattended by use of a restraint unless the owner provides the dog access to:
(1) adequate shelter;
(2) an area that allows the dog to avoid standing water and exposure to excessive animal waste;
(3) shade from direct sunlight; and
(4) potable water.
(b) An owner may not restrain a dog outside and unattended by use of a restraint that:
(1) is a chain;
(2) has weights attached;
(3) is shorter in length than the greater of:
(A) five times the length of the dog, as measured from the tip of the dog's nose to the base of the dog's tail; or
(B) 10 feet; or
(4) is attached to a collar or harness not properly fitted.
(c) A person commits an offense if the person knowingly violates this section. The restraint of each dog that is in violation is a separate offense.