Requesting an Interlibrary Loan
- Who can use this service?
Adult library card holders can make requests. Any overdue materials must be returned prior to request.
- When do I use it?
If you are looking for a specific title that our library does not own, you may request to borrow it using one of two methods:
- In the library catalog, login to your account. Then select 'My Account'. Select 'Reserves' at the top of the screen. Scroll down the page until you see "Is the library missing something? You can request that we purchase it or borrow it from another library (ILL)." By selecting the underlined word 'request' in that statement, a box will open and you can enter your requested item, title and author if known. The more information, the better! In the 'Additional Information' box, please state that you are requesting this item via Interlibrary Loan (ILL). Or:
- At the Circulation Desk, ask to fill out a paper form with the pertinent information. The title of the item, the author or editor, ISBN number (if known), the format of what you want (book, large print book, DVD, audiobook, article), and anything specific or special instructions. Fill in your name, your Lago Vista Public Library (LVPL) card number, phone number, email address (if available), and sign and date it. Give the completed form to an LVPL staff member.
- What happens next?
Our staff searches libraries within our system to locate a copy of your item. It is sent to LVPL via the United States Postal Service (USPS). LVPL will contact you when the item arrives.
- How long does it take?
Due to availability, search time, and courier schedules, it may take up to 2 weeks, sometimes even up to 4 weeks, to receive your item.
- How will I know when my item is available?
You will be contacted as soon as we receive the item; it will be held for you for 1 week.
- When will my ILL book be due?
Each lending library sets its own due dates.
- What is the cost?
There is a return postage charge of $3 for each ILL item, payable when you pick the item up.
If an ILL item is returned past after its due date, the patron must pay all fines and processing costs assessed by the lending library.
Should an ILL item be lost, the patron is responsible for all charges.
- What else do I need to know?
LVPL may restrict the number of items requested through Inter-Library Loan by an individual patron to ensure fair, equitable, and timely service within the constraints of budget and staffing.